(a) Twenty-four (24) Hour Limitation. No person, firm or corporation shall park or leave standing any automobile, truck, tractor, trailer or vehicle of any description on any public street or public parking lot in the Village for a period of twenty-four (24) or more consecutive hours in the same location at any time, except that where more restrictive parking limits have been established the more restrictive limits shall apply.
(1) The Village Board may designate certain streets or portions of streets as no parking or no stopping or standing zones or as zones for parking by physically handicapped persons and may limit the hours in which the restrictions apply. The Village shall mark, by appropriate signs, each zone so designated in accordance with the provisions of Sec. 349.13, Wis. Stats.(b) Posted Limitations.
(2) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or traffic control device, no person shall stop or park a vehicle in an established no stopping or standing zone when stopping or standing is prohibited. No vehicle shall be parked in a no parking zone during hours when parking is prohibited except physicians on emergency calls or as permitted by state law or elsewhere by this Code of Ordinances.
(3) The Chief of Police is hereby granted the authority, within the reasonable exercise of police power to prohibit, limit the time or otherwise restrict the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles beyond the provisions of Chapter 346. The Director of Public Works shall have the authority to restrict the turning or movement of heavy traffic and to impose special weight limitations on any highway or portions thereof which, because of the weakness of the roadbed due to deterioration or climatic conditions or other special or temporary conditions, would likely be seriously damaged or destroyed in the absence of any restrictions on heavy traffic movement or special weight limitations.
(4) No prohibition, restriction or limitation on parking or restriction on movement or turning of heavy traffic and imposition of special weight limits is effective unless official traffic control devices have been placed or erected indicating the particular prohibition, restriction or limitation.
(5) After the parking limitations on any given street have expired, any change of location of not more than one (1) stall following expiration of the parking period allowed shall be and constitute a violation of this Chapter.
(Code 1998, § 10-1-20)