Skip to main content.

Back to Web Site

Village of McFarland, WI

Tourist Rooming House Permit

On March 13, 2017, the Village Board passed an ordinance regulating tourist rooming houses within the Village. All Tourist Rooming Houses will be required to obtain a tourist rooming house permit to operate within the Village as of July 1, 2017.


What is a Tourist Rooming House(TRH)?
Any dwelling unit where sleeping accommodations are offered for pay on a short term rental basis to tourists or transients except: Bed and breakfast establishments, Hotels, or any private boarding or rooming houses, ordinarily conducted as such, that do not accommodate tourists or transients.


What are the requirements to run a TRH and how do I apply?
All TRHs are required to obtain proper licensing and inspection from the State of Wisconsin, insurance with specific TRH coverage, and a variety of other occupancy/parking requirements. See the full ordinance and application below.

Additionally, every owner of a tourist rooming house shall appoint a local agent to manage the tourist rooming house if the owner resides outside a 30 mile radius from the tourist rooming house or if the owner will be absent while the property is being rented as a tourist rooming house.


What are the fees associated with the permit?
The initial application fee for a TRH is $500(includes all inspections). The renewal application is $100 plus $100 for the fire inspection.


Can I run more than one TRH in the Village?

Will I be notified if a TRH has been proposed in my neighborhood?
Yes. All property owners within 300 feet of a proposed Tourist Rooming House will be notified at least 10 days in advance of the Public Safety meeting in which the application shall be reviewed.


Is there a maximum number of days I can rent my TRH annually?

Attached Document or FileTourist Rooming House Application  

5915 Milwaukee St. | P.O. Box 110 | McFarland, WI 53558-0110 | ph: 608-838-3153 | fx: 608-838-3619