Skip to main content.

Back to Web Site

Village of McFarland, WI

Municipal Court FAQ
In lieu of an appearance, you may post the bond which is located at the top right of your citation. You may send a check or money order to the address listed below. If you wish to post bond by use of either VISA or MasterCard, please complete the form provided on this Website and return it to the address listed below. Credit card payments can be made by calling the number listed below. 


We understand that you probably have questions about your rights and responsibilities in regards to your citation.  Listed below are the answers to frequently asked questions:

How may I pay for my citation?
Before your court date, you may pay in any of the following ways:

1.  You may mail your fine payment (cash, check or money order made payable to the VIllage of McFarland) to:

McFarland Municipal Court, P.O. Box 110,
5915 Milwaukee Street, McFarland, WI 53558-0110

2.   To make a credit or debit card payment, call 888-604-7888 or visit  and enter the PLC# 6768. (There is a fee for this service.) 

Include your citation number or case number with your payment.

If you have any questions regarding your citation or you want to request more time to pay, please call |(608) 838-3764. You must do this before the due date. Court office hours are Monday through Thursday, from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Payment may be made at the McFarland Police Department, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.

The Clerk of Court may be able to grant an extension. But, depending on your case, you may be sent to the courtroom to speak with the Judge. Please understand that these requests are not automatically granted.

If your citation is overdue or suspended, you need to contact the Municipal Court office during normal business hours by calling (608) 838-3764.

Do I Have to Appear in Court?

Look at the upper left hand portion of your citation.

If YES is circled under "Is this a mandatory Court Appearance?", you must appear in court on the date and time indicated on your citation. Failure to appear will result in warrant being issued for your arrest.

If NO is circled, you have several options you may wish to consider. If you do not wish to dispute the citation, simply mail in the "deposit" amount indicated on the upper right hand corner of your citation. You must include a photocopy of your citation OR submit your correct name, address, citation number, court appearance date, and offense. Payments are to be mailed to:

McFarland Municipal Court
5915 Milwaukee Street
P.O. Box 110
McFarland, WI 53558-0110

We accept cash, check, money order, Visa or MasterCard. Checks are to be made payable to: Village of McFarland.

You do not need to appear. The Court will find you guilty and keep the "deposit" amount as payment of your citation.

What If I Appear in Court?
If you appear in court on the date listed on your citation, you may enter a plea to the charge. You may plead Guilty, No Contest or Not Guilty. This date is not the trial date. If you plead Guilty or No Contest, the Court will find you Guilty and the matter will be resolved at this time. If you plead Not Guilty you may meet with the Village Attorney for a pretrial conference.

What Are The Different Pleas I May Enter?
You may enter a plea of GUILTY, NO CONTEST, or NOT GUILTY to the charge against you. If you enter a plea of Guilty, you are admitting that you have committed the violation. If you enter a plea of No Contest, you declare that you are neither guilty nor not guilty. You merely want to get the matter over with and pay the forfeiture. As a result of this plea you will be found guilty by the court, but this finding cannot be used against you as an admission of guilty if you appear in any other court action related to the charge against you.

If you enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest, the Judge will find you Guilty of the charge, set the fine/forfeiture, and tell you when it is due. If you cannot pay the fine/forfeiture immediately, you may ask the Judge for more time to pay.

If you enter a plea of Not Guilty, you deny committing the violation charged against you. You will meet with the Village Attorney to discuss the case. If an agreement can be reached between you and the Village, the Judge will review the agreement and decide whether or not to approve it. If you cannot reach an agreement you will be given a trial date.

What If I Wish To Enter A Plea of Not Guilty?

If you wish to plead Not Guilty you may do so by downloading a Plea of Not Guilty Form on this Website. The original form must be filed with the Court on or before your initial appearance court date. To file the form you may do one of the following:

1.  Mail the form to:

McFarland Municipal Court
P.O. Box 110
5915 Milwaukee Street
McFarland, WI 53558-0110

2.  Bring the form to the Court in person on or before your court date. (Please check court hours before coming to the court office.)


3.  Fax the form to the McFarland Municipal Court: (608) 838-3619 This plea must be received prior to your court date. A court date for a pretrial conference will be mailed to you. You must appear in person for your pretrial conference. If you fail to appear for your scheduled pretrial conference the Court will find you Guilty by default.

4.  Email the form to:

Once the form is filed with the Court you will be notified by mail of your new court date.

It is necessary that you advise the Court of any address change. If you do not appear because you failed to notify the Court of a change of address, you will be found Guilty.

Do I Need An Attorney?

You are not required to have an attorney for a Municipal Court matter. The decision is yours. Municipal Courts do not provided public defenders.

It is important to understand that the Court staff is interested in answering all procedural questions you have about how the Court will handle your case. However, they cannot offer legal advice or make recommendations to you about your case or recommend an attorney.

Village Attorney:

Murphy & Desmond, S.C.
Attorney Matthew Fleming
33 East Main Street, Suite 500
P.O. Box 2038
Madison, WI  53701-2038
(608) 257-7181

What If I Want a Trial?

If you do not reach an agreement at the pretrial conference your case will be scheduled for trial. You have the right to a jury trial only in cases of Operating While Intoxicated. Your demand for jury trial must be made in writing within ten (10) days of the court date and enclose the proper fine/forfeiture, or you can download trial information by clicking on the link below. 

Trial information form

Will I Lose My License Due To Points?

If you are found Guilty of a traffic violation you may have demerit points added to your driving record. The Court will report the conviction to the Department of Transportation. They will assess the number of demerit points against your record depending on the charge. If you accumulate twelve (12) points in one year by date of violations, your driver’s license will be suspended or revoked.

If you have a probationary license, demerit points will double on the second and subsequent convictions. To find out how many points you have accumulated, you must contact the Drivers License Bureau by calling (608) 266-2353.

What Happens If I Do Not Do Anything?

If you DO NOT appear in Court in person, enter a plea by mail, or post money for the deposit, the Judge may issue a warrant for your arrest, suspended your driver’s license for Two (2) years or have your name entered in the Internal Revenue Tax Intercept Program.

If you have any question regarding your citation, please feel free to call (608) 838-3764 during Municipal Court office hours, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.

What Happens to Fines/Forfeitures Paid on Citations?
Fines/Forfeitures are disbursed to the Village, State and County. No officer or court official profits from any fine or forfeiture.

Occupational License?

If your driver's license has been revoked or suspended you have the right to apply for an occupational driver's license. To obtain an occupational drivers license you will need to contact the Department of Transportation or visit the DOT link on this Website.

Traffic Safety School?

If you wish to reduce your demerit points on your driving record you may attend an approved traffic school, one of which is conducted at MATC-Madison. This procedure does not apply if your current violation results in revocation or suspension, or if school was ordered in lieu of revocation for Operating Under the Influence. Application for Traffic Safety School can be made at MATC or other state vocational schools by clicking on the link below.

You need to mail the form at least ten (10) days before the court date listed on your citation; you do not have to appear on your initial appearance court date.

Tax Intercepts?

McFarland Municipal Court uses the Tax Refund Interception Program (TRIP) as a means of collecting fines/forfitures for violators failing to comply with the order of the Municipal Judge.

TRIP is allowed under Wis. Stats. 71.93 and 71.935.  These Statutes authorize the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) to intercept taxpayer refunds, other refundable credits, and lottery prizes for certain state agency and local government debts. State agencies and local governments can participate in TRIP.

How does the Tax Intercept Program work? ... Tax Intercept can be used to collect past-due child support, family support, birth expenses.

Tax Refund Interception Program (TRIP)

 More Info on TRIP...

5915 Milwaukee St. | P.O. Box 110 | McFarland, WI 53558-0110 | ph: 608-838-3153 | fx: 608-838-3619