Licenses & Permits
The Administration Department issues the following types of licenses and permits in compliance with, and as required by, Wisconsin Statutes and/or the Village of McFarland Code of Ordinances.
- Alcohol Beverage Licenses for Establishments
- Alcohol Beverage Licenses for Operators
- Burning Permits
- Cigarette & Tobacco Products Licenses
- Direct Seller Permits
- Event Permits
- Excavation Permits
- Mobile Food Establishments
- Neighborhood Event (Block Party) Permits
- Pet Licenses
- Solicitor Permits
- Street Privilege Permits
- Temporary Alcohol Licenses
- Tourist Rooming House Permits
Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 125 and Village of McFarland Code Chapter 11, Article II prohibit retail sales of alcohol beverages in McFarland without an approved license granted and issued by the Village of McFarland. Alcohol beverages means fermented malt beverages (beer) and intoxicating liquor (distilled spirits and wine). For information on obtaining an alcohol beverage license, please fill out the Alcohol Determination Request form.
Important Dates to Remember
- April 15 - All application forms for the renewal of alcohol licenses must be completed and submitted to the Clerk.
- June 30 (or last business day of June) - Last day for licenses to be picked up and paid for by 4 pm at the Village Hall/Administration Office.
- July 1 - New licensing year officially begins. All licenses issued for the previous license year are now expired.
Forms & Additional Information
Forms and additional information, such as approved classes for individuals wanting to become licensed operators, may be obtained from the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.
Alcohol Beverage Licenses for Operators are required in order for any person employed by a licensed establishment to work on the premises without the immediate supervision of the licensee, permittee, agent or a person holding an operator's license.
Burning Permits are required for open burning and are only allowed on scheduled weekends. Burning of branches, weeds, and brush can be done on the second and fourth weekend of the month by permit. Burning of building materials is not allowed.
Burning permit can be obtained free of charge from the Administration Department. Please see the Burning Permits section for more information.
Cigarette and Tobacco Products Licenses are required in order for any person, firm or corporation to directly or indirectly, upon any premises, in any manner, or by any device, sell, exchange, barter, dispose of or give away, or keep for sale, any cigarette, cigarette paper, or cigarette wrappers, or any substitute therefore.
Direct Seller Permits are required in order for any individual who for him/herself, or for a partnership, association or corporation, sells goods, or takes sales orders for the later delivery of goods, at any location other than the permanent business place or residence of said individual, partnership, association or corporation, and shall include, but not be limited to, peddlers, hawkers, and transient merchants.
An Event Permit may be required for parades, runs/walks, car shows, community events, and special events in which 200 or more attendees are anticipated at one time or that is likely to have a significant impact on neighborhood parking or the free flow of traffic.
- Event Permit Determination Request form - Your event may or may not require an Event Permit. This Determination Request form is to submit a request to Village staff to determine whether an Event Permit will be required for your event. Village staff will review your submission and will be in contact with you.
The Village recently changed the Code with regard to Excavation Permits including a new application and process. The new process will take place as followed:
- Completed Excavation Permit Application (PDF) is to be emailed to Public Works.
- Received application will be reviewed for insurance forms and specifications (if applicable).
- Received application will be reviewed by the Public Works Director.
- After the reviews are complete, the applicant will be notified of the necessary fees for the application.
- The completed and approved permit will be sent to the applicant after payment has been received by Village Administration.
A Mobile Food establishment permit is required where food is sold to members of the general public from a movable vehicle, push cart, trailer, or boat which periodically or continuously changes location including movable concession stands and similar temporary stations not operating for a permanent building licensed as a restaurant.
View the Full Ordinance on Mobile Food Carts, including all rules and regulations.
A Neighborhood Event (Block Party) Permit may be needed to block or close a portion of a public street for a neighborhood block party.
Pet Licenses are required in order for any person to own, harbor or keep any dog or cat more than five months of age after July 1 of the licensing year. Bring in your pet's proof of rabies vaccination with dates and in a few minutes you will have a license. Licenses are to be renewed every year. Licenses for the new year are available around the second week of December.
Solicitor Permits are required for any person who plans, conducts, manages, or carries on any drive or campaign in the Village for the purpose of soliciting contributions for or on behalf of any charitable organization or any other person, or who engages in the business of or holds said person out to persons in this state as independently engaged in the business of soliciting contributions for such purpose.
Street Privilege Permits are required for the use of streets, alleys, sidewalks, or other public ways or places for the purpose of encumbering the street, alley, sidewalk or way with materials, storage pods, and equipment, or other items.
Special Event (Indoor or Outdoor) Licenses are required for any club, society, or organization that is issued a "Temporary Class "B" Fermented Malt Beverage and/or Temporary "Class B" Wine license (commonly known as Picnic Licenses).
There are three forms required:
All Tourist Rooming Houses will be required to obtain a tourist rooming house permit to operate within the Village as of July 1, 2017.
For more information, view our Tourist Rooming House Permit FAQ.