Garbage & Recycling
The Village of McFarland contracts with Pellitteri Waste Systems for garbage and recycling collection. Trash and recycling is collected every week.
The western half of the Village is collected on Tuesday, and the eastern half is collected on Wednesday. Should collection fall on a holiday, collection will be moved to the following day for pickup. For more information, view the following schedules:
2021 Holiday Pick-Up Schedule
- Labor Day: Monday, September 6th
- Tuesday pickup will be Wednesday, September 8th
- Wednesday pickup will be Thursday, September 9th
New residents should contact the Public Works Department to obtain their containers. The following sizes are available to residents:
- 64-Gallon: A resident is provided a trash and recycling container of this size unless a different size is requested.
- 64-Gallon and 32-Gallon: For the cost of $96 per year, an additional 32-gallon may be acquired for weekly collection.
- One 35-Gallon: Households that are able to make due with a single 32-gallon container are encourage to do so, as the Village receives a credit for the reduced service.
- Two 35-Gallon: Residents who are physically unable to handle the larger 64-gallon containers may instead use two smaller 35-gallon containers.
When positioning containers, please remember the following:
- Do keep a 24-inch separation between containers and other obstructions.
- Do have containers ready by 6 am.
- Do not overfill containers.
- Do not place containers near or under overhanging obstructions.
- Do not place containers in the street.
- Do not place containers for pickup more than 24 hours before collection.
- Do not leave containers along the road more than 24 hours after collection.
If the items being disposed of are in a serviceable condition, residents are encouraged to donate them to a charitable organization such as Easter Seals, Goodwill, or Saint Vincent De Paul.
Appliances & Bulky Trash
Large, bulky items will not be removed with regular collection; residents must arrange a special pick-up with Pellitteri Waste Systems for a fee. Residents can call 608-257-4285 to arrange the pick-up.
Examples of these items include:
- Air conditioners
- Microwave ovens
- Washers and Dryers
- Water heaters
- Water softeners
Computers & Electronics
Computers and other electronics will not be collected with regular collection, and should instead be disposed of through a service such as the following:
Paint must be solidified before being disposed of. Removing the lid of the paint can will allow it to dry, or the container may be filled with kitty litter to absorb all of the liquid. Once dry, the cans may be place inside of your trash container.
The Village provides a drop-off site for Village residents, located at 5115 Terminal Drive for automotive engine oil, transmission oil, hydraulic power steering fluid, and automotive coolant. Contact the Public Works Department for more information.
Sharps or Needle Disposal
Medical waste such as needs, syringes, and lancets must be disposed of properly, and should never be put into regular trash or recycling containers. A list of collection stations for sharps may be found on the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources website.
Medications should not be thrown away or flushed. The McFarland Municipal Center offers a MedDrop location where medications can be properly disposed of. All items should be placed into a resealable bag and placed in the MedDrop box. MedDrop accepts the following:
- Medication samples
- Nebulizer solution
- Pet medications
- Prescription and over-the-counter pills, liquids, creams, powders, and patches
Yard Waste & Brush
The Village offers several methods of disposing of yard waste and brush. Visit our Yard Waste and Brush page for more information.