Powers & Duties
In addition to its duties prescribed in Chapter 62, Article II, Division 6, the Landmarks Commission shall:
- Cooperate with the State Historic Preservation Officer and the State Historic Preservation Review Board in promoting the inclusion of properties designated as historic structures, sites or districts in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Facilitate in continuing citizen education about the historical heritage of the Village and the structures and sites designated as historic.
- Work with Village staff to research, seek and, when authorized by the Village Board, apply for alternative funding sources such as grants, donations, and bequests as applicable for the purpose of historic preservation in the Village.
- Recommend that the Village Board designate historic structures, historic sites, and Historic Districts within the Village limits, based on the criteria of Section 62-394. In performing these functions, the commission may engage the assistance of qualified professionals.
- Review and determine applications for certificates of appropriateness under Section 62-395 and approving demolition of historic structures when appropriate pursuant to Section 62-397.
- Review and recommend policies, programs and municipal purchases related to historic preservation.
- Meets as needed
- Municipal Center Community Room
5 members. Each member shall have, to the extent practicable, a known interest in historic preservation.
- 1 Village Trustee (1-year term)
- 4 citizen members (3-year terms)
Agendas, Minutes, and Packets
Agendas and packets are posted publicly prior to the meeting while minutes are posted after being approved by the Commission.
Related Information and Documents
- Story Map of Locally Designated Historic Properties
- Landmarks Commission Application for Certificate of Appropriateness
- Historic McFarland - A Walking Tour (PDF)
- Certified Local Government Application (PDF)
- McFarland Historic Preservation Ordinance
- Public Comment Policy (PDF)
- Village of McFarland Code of Ordinances, Chapter 2, Article IV, Division 7, Section 2-283
- Village of McFarland Mission and Vision Statement (PDF)