Solar Permitting Checklist
Are you looking to add solar to your home or property and lower your monthly energy costs? See below on the three easy steps for how you can get started with your savings.
- Complete a Building Permit Application. Fill out areas indicated in yellow and check off electrical permit.
- Submit completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org via email or you can drop off it at the Community & Economic Development Office window located in the Municipal Center. For drop-offs outside normal business hours, there is a 24-hour drop box in the municipal parking lot.
- Submitted and complete building permit applications for residential rooftop solar will be processed in 1 – 3 business days, excluding day of submittal.
- The Building Inspector or Department will notify applicants of their permits and the associated permit fee. Payments for ready permits can be made over the phone (includes 2.65% service fee) or via check at the same office window or drop box. Please make checks payable to “Village of McFarland”.
NOTE: A site plan drawing must be included with applications that include ground mounted solar. Fee totals may vary depending on the scope of the project and if there is additional work included.
Resources on Financing & Incentives
Now is the best time to start planning for your clean energy project. Whether you're a resident, business owner, property owner, or just overall interested in savings, take advantage of the opportunities available below.
- Dane County Office of Energy and Climate Change - Dane County provides helpful materials about the Inflation Reduction Act and other related resources on solar installation. The following links can help you maximize on the federally funded program savings today.
- Focus on Energy - Focus on Energy is a state-run program connecting cost-effective, energy efficiency, and rebates benefits to all Wisconsin residents and commercial businesses.
- Alliant Energy - Alliant offers resources on savings tips, energy assessments for homes and businesses, and connects property owners to available rebates. Find out how you could be saving on your next home improvement project.
- Madison Gas & Electric (MGE) - MGE offer their customers several savings programs. Check out what saving options are available to you.
Passive programing can be an essential tool to community engagement. Each project supports the greater impact shared in our community. See how you can also participate!
- TerraCycle - A recycling program dedicated to collecting plastic wrappers and other recyclable materials. The program runs concurrently with the Lion's Club's Plastic Bag Drop Off and encourages smart management of waste materials. Locations can be found in at the Village's Public Library and Municipal Center
- No Mow May- This community program encourages reducing mowing activities during the month of May to allow emerging species and pollinators a head start on the upcoming season. Bees, insects and birds benefit from an abundance of food sources and shelter while we benefit from cleaner air quality and lower carbon emissions. The Village offers free yard signs per completed registrations. Check the link in late-April again for more details.
- No Mow May (this link may not be active year-round)
- Plastic Bag Drop Off - This recycling initiative is organized by our McFarland Lion's Clubs. Drop-off locations can be found at the Public Library, Municipal Center, and One Community Bank. This recycling program promotes how we can reduce plastic waste starting with our single-use plastic bags. See the flyers below for materials accepted and NOT accepted.
Energy Planning and Reports, 2023
The McFarland Comprehensive Energy Plan and McFarland Community Center Report were completed in December 2023 with the help of contracted consultants HGA. The Village Board will utilize the two documents along with the Sustainability Plan to make informed decisions on energy savings strategies and sustainable improvement projects throughout the Village.
Sustainability Plan, 2021
The McFarland Sustainability Plan, 2021 serves as a milestone in climate action planning for the Village of McFarland. The plan establishes principle guidelines detailing the overall guiding visions, measurable objectives, and target strategies (plans of actions) intended to support implementation processes.
View the McFarland Sustainability Plan (PDF)
View the Sustainability & Natural Resources Committee page
How McFarland is Staying Connected
Partnerships and networking with organizations around Wisconsin help Village Staff on our goals with sustainability. Additionally, valuable peer-sharing and educational resources aid us in our efforts for a more vibrant community. Each below organization provides opportunities for peer learning and resource sharing.
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2022/23 Office of Energy and Innovation - Energy Innovation Grant Program Awardee- The Village of McFarland was awarded $350,000 in grant funding for the project submittal of a Level 1 Microgrid Community Resilience Center and battery storage. The application was one of 28 applications selected for funding from a total of 135 applications.
- Public Service Commission - 9709-FG-2022 EIGP Awards Memorandum (PDF)
- 2022 Climate Champion, Fleet Operations - The McFarland Police Department was awarded this recognition for their emerging growth in purchasing the Village's first electric vehicle.
- 2021 Climate Champion on Net-Zero Public Safety Center - In 2021, the Village was awarded the Climate Champion Award in the "Other" category for the Net Zero Public Safety Center. The building received a Level 3 distinction for its innovative Net-Zero design and energy conservation.
- 2021 First Rooftop Solar Installation - The first municipal solar panels were installed on our Village's Public Works Building in 2021. The energy generated helps to offset the building's energy usage.
Community & Economic Development Department
5915 Milwaukee Street
McFarland, WI 53558
P.O. Box 110
McFarland, WI 53558
Phone: 608-838-3154Fax: 608-838-3619
Andrew BremerCommunity & Economic Development Director
Kong ThaoAssociate Planner