Coffee & Conversation
Join McFarland Senior Outreach staff and older adults in the community for our lively Coffee & Conversation Group! Hot coffee and fresh pastries are provided. Participants receive a free McFarland Senior Outreach insulated travel cup (while supplies last). Door prize drawings. Representatives from local organizations are invited to mingle and answer questions. Check the Senior Outreach Events calendar to view occasional guest speakers.
Upcoming Coffee Hour Dates:
- McFarland Municipal Center, Community Room at 5915 Milwaukee Street Wednesday, May 4th
Lewis Park Shelter (5012 Highland Dr.)
Wednesday, June 8th
Wednesday, July 13th
Wednesday, August 10th
$2.00 suggested donation.
Senior Film Fridays
Tune in from the comfort of your home twice per month to view curated classic movies as part of our Senior Film Fridays series. Each month presents a different theme for the selected films. Showings will begin with a McFarland Senior Services News Flash followed by the film. 2022 Line Up:
- January: Silent Films
- February: Romance Rendezvous
- March: Comic Book Classics
- April: Science Fiction Festival
- May: Wild West Adventures
Showings happen every 2nd and 4th Friday of the month, at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
How to watch:
- TDS Cable Channel 1009
- Spectrum Cable Channel 982
- Not a cable subscriber? Watch the cable channel online at www.mcfarlandcablechannel.com. Click on the green "Watch" button in the upper right corner of the site to view a live feed of the cable channel.
If you have questions regarding Senior Film Fridays, contact McFarland Cable at 608-838-6717.
- Wednesdays from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- McFarland Municipal Center Community Room at 5915 Milwaukee Street
- Free to attend
- Drop-ins welcome
- No pre-registration required
Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) Sewing Group
If you would like to touch lives in your community using your creative sewing, knitting or crocheting skills, consider joining the McFarland RSVP Sewing Group. Volunteers create items like quilts, afghans, shawls, fidget/activity quilts, mittens, face masks and more to donate to nonprofit organizations to help people of all ages throughout Dane County. The McFarland group partners with RSVP of Dane County to determine projects and distribute completed items. If you prefer to work independently, volunteers are welcome to create items at home and then bring the completed projects to the meetings. Supplies such as yarn, thread, and fabric are available.
The sewing group welcomes new people who can donate some time at the group meeting or in their own homes to make items. Donations of supplies for the projects are also welcomed. For questions about group participation or donations, contact McFarland Senior Outreach at 608-838-7117.
- 1st Friday of the month
- 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Homestead Apartments Community Room, 5910 Anthony Street in McFarland
Tai Chi with Margaret Reeves
According to Mayo Clinic, "Tai chi is an ancient Chinese tradition that, today, is practiced as a graceful form of exercise. It involves a series of movements performed in a slow, focused manner and accompanied by deep breathing. Tai chi can be a positive part of an overall approach to improving your health. The benefits of tai chi may include:
- Decreased stress, anxiety and depression
- Improved mood
- Improved aerobic capacity
- Increased energy and stamina
- Improved flexibility, balance, and agility
- Improved muscle strength and definition"
- Mondays from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- McFarland Municipal Center, Community Room 5915 Milwaukee Street
- $5.00 suggested donation per class
- Drop-in, no pre-registration required
For questions, email instructor Margaret Reeves or call 608-515-4722.